Ellen's Reviews > A Corner of the Universe

A Corner of the Universe by Ann M. Martin

May 10, 2012

did not like it
Read on May 09, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This book was well-written. The story takes place in a time period that I could relate to--the 1960s--and I had an understanding of some of the things it mentions, such watching home movies on an old reel-to-reel projector. Even so, I never really got into the story. The first three chapters seemed to emphasize how boring and predictable life was for the shy young girl who is the main character. In fact, after making it through the first three chapters, I had to re-read the jacket cover description to remind myself that something really would be happening, and to encourage myself to keep reading. It wasn't until the fourth chapter that a plot was introduced. The young girl who is the main character is also the narrator, and there are times when she switches from past-tense to present-tense in her narration, which was not comfortable for me as a reader. I never really developed an emotional attachment to her or her uncle, so I didn't feel a need to cry when her uncle died. I was, however, proud of the girl when she stood up at his funeral and conquered her own fears by focusing her remarks to the girls who had been her tormentors. As she told them that her uncle was not weird, but was a real human being, she seemed to be affirming her own self-worth and acknowledging that other people's opinions of her value would no longer matter to her. That made the read worthwhile, but this isn't a book that I'll read again or even recommend to anyone I know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Corner of the Universe.