Birgit's Reviews > Physics of the Future: The Inventions That Will Transform Our Lives

Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku

May 19, 12

Read from May 10 to 13, 2012

What will your day be like in the year 2100 compared to the day ahead of you when you woke up this morning? In his new book Physics Of The Future, Michio Kaku takes the reader on a tour through the advances in science and technology, painting a vivid picture of our future - from computers to medicine, from space travel to wealth.
Both engrossing and very accessibly written, this book does not offer wild speculation, but well-reasoned estimates based on the author’s extensive research in various scientific fields, all lovingly seasoned with excursions into the world of science fiction. I admit, it was the relationship to my favorite fiction genre which made the journey into our future even more absorbing. Quite often fiction authors made spot on predictions, other times science overtakes science fiction’s ideas with ease. And how could I not love the many Star Trek references? In a way, scientific progress is to go where no (wo)man has gone before and this will be where we’re headed in the next century as well.
The last chapter, dedicated to what a day in the year 2100 could be like, was both amusing and fascinating, and presents a wonderful conclusion that left me full of awe, a bit of disbelieve, and a lot of hope. A reaction that’s probably not so different had someone in the early 20th century shown us a picture of our lives today.
In short: A truly amazing tour into our future!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Physics of the Future.