Marci's Reviews > Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

F_50x66
May 10, 12

Read in January, 2012

It's been a long time since I read this book but I've been thinking about it for months. The book was a last minute choosing from the library shelves because books by chefs are not normally of interest to me. Boy am I ever glad I picked this up! The book begins with Hamilton's life as a teen, surrounded by food and family, and moves through her tumultuous young adult life to her current life with a husband and children. Each main event centers around food and what she was doing with it at that point in her life. The thing is, Gabrielle Hamilton works words like a wizard (a little alliteration for ya). There were time where I would get through a section thinking, "yes, yes, I've felt that way" and then a few pages later I would be struck by just how unique that particular metaphor had been. She draws you into a world rich with smells, colors, and details and none of these things feel forced (oh do I hate authors who stumble on their words and force the picture you see). I've recommended this book to others and don't believe they enjoyed it as much (haven't heard rave reviews from them) but I was thoroughly impressed by the magic of Hamilton's words and her amazing drive for life. This woman is a whirlwind and I am now trying to figure out how to get to her restaurant in New York and eat the food I was drooling over in the book.

P.S. I was disgusted by the talk about catered food and what happens behind the scenes and will ever be wary of eating at parties!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood, Bones, and Butter.