Hannah Cobb's Reviews > Enchanted

Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

May 10, 12

bookshelves: ya-fantasy
Read in May, 2012

Sunday's six older sisters and several older brothers live extraordinary, magical lives, while Sunday is afraid to make use of her own ability--everything that she writes comes true (hello, Inkeart fans!). Her ordinary existence is shaken up when she meets a talking frog, and forms a fast friendship with him. Sunday and the frog fall in love (rather rapidly), but the usual prince-turned-into-animal cure of True Love's Kiss doesn't seem to work on this particular frog. Sunday and the frog/prince are well characterized, but the plot is such a hodgepodge of every fairy tale ever written that--even though I like the idea of one enormous family being repsonsible for all the fairytales--the story becomes a little thick and hard to follow in places. I wanted to give this book 3.5 stars. It's engaging and amusing, and fans of fractured fairytales will enjoy it. Though it's not on the same writing level, teens who loved Robin McKinley will probably like Enchanted. I liked it myself; I'm just not thrilled with it. Has anyone else read it yet? Any thoughts?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchanted.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hilary Proffitt I read it, and actually agree with you, for once! ;) It was fun, and I really liked Sunday and her family, but two many fairy tale's got combined, and it got confusing in places. Also, at some points I felt like the author was really reaching to include some of the elements of different fairy tales.

Shelley Do you think How the author ended the book, she leaves the door open to tell Jack's tale?

Hannah Cobb Shelley wrote: "Do you think How the author ended the book, she leaves the door open to tell Jack's tale?"

I think you may be right...and I can't think of too many really good books out there on Jack and the Beanstalk, so good for her if she is writing a sequel (or a prequel?). Though you do have to wonder if there are any fairy tales left to put in a second book, after she tied so many of them into the first book.