M—'s Reviews > The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales

The Coyote Road by Ellen Datlow

May 10, 12

bookshelves: review-to-come, short-stories, z-do-not-delete
Read in January, 2014

Fabulous. I've rarely enjoyed anthology this much. I mostly really liked these stars or really didn't, with little in betweeen.

One odd shoe / by Pat Murphy -- shoes by the highway; archiologyical dig; propositioning a coyote woman. Excellent. Five stars.

Coyote Woman / by Carolyn Dunn -- poem

Wagers of Gold Mountain / by Steve Berman -- Chinese-culture enthused. Three stars.

The listeners / by Nina Kiriki Hoffman -- godstruck in Rome, new path to follow. Felt like the first chapter in a novel. Four stars.

Realer than you / by Christopher Barzak -- young expat in Japan meets a kitsune. Or a ghost. Four stars.

The fiddler of Bayou Teche / by Delia Sherman -- Gorgeous. Five stars. Dancing the devil down and down again. Five stars.

A tale for the short days / by Richard Bowes -- energy cycles, or the three times he stole from a family. Four stars.

Friday night at St. Cecilia's / by Ellen Klages -- Egh. Bad-girl cathologic schoolgirl tricked by an evil nun. Readable but fluffy. One star if I'm feeling particularly mean.

The fortune-teller / by Patricia A. McKillip -- I love McKinley but I didn't care for this. She wrote it as 'the trickster getting tricked' and I found it heavyhanded and moralistic. Two stars.

How Raven made his bride / by Theodora Goss -- Poem. So lovely.

Crow roads / by Charles de Lint -- Standard excellent de Lint. Visitor comes to no-end town; lover descids to follow him. Later. Three or four stars.

The chamber music of animals / by Katherine Vaz -- Ech. Kid dying of cancer, something about a musical toy saving him. One star.

Uncle Bob visits / by Caroline Stevermer -- Not a fan of this author. One star.

Uncle Tompa / by Midori Snyder -- poem

Cat of the world / by Michael Cadnum -- Fluffy. Better suited for one of the Catfantastic anthologies. Two stars.

Honored guest / by Ellen Kushner -- World of Swordspoint and massively interesting. Three or four stars.

Always the same story / by Elizabeth E. Wein -- heaps of fun. Son of the circus uses Briar Rabbit trickery and his own skills to escape kidnappers. Three or four stars.

The señorita and the cactus thorn /by Kim Antieau -- Fun fable-like tale of learning to live in the desert. Wtih a Coyote mother-in-law. THree or four stars.

Black rock blues / by Will Shetterly -- Dull. Something about gangsters, maybe. One star.

The Constable of Abal / by Kelly Link -- tethering ghosts and escaping a murder charge. Oh, and your mother is a godess. Three stars.

A reversal of fortune / by Holly Black -- Tricking the devil in a eating contest. I was vaugely unsatisfied by some of the characterizations, but I really enjoyed this. Three or four stars.

God clown / by Carol Emshwiller -- Whoa. I liked this, and I hate Emshwiller's work. Tricky tricky insperations. Four stars. Maybe five.

The other labyrinth / by Jedediah Berry -- A bit conveluted, but fine. Three stars.

The dreaming wind / by Jeffrey Ford -- Not bad but forgetable. Two stars.

Kwaku Anansi walks the world's web / by Jane Yolen -- poem.

The evolution of trickster stories among the dogs of North Park after the change / by Kij Johnson -- heartbreaking and extraordianarly done. Five stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coyote Road.