Fergie's Reviews > April Morning

April Morning by Howard Fast

May 10, 12

Read in May, 2012

I never read this book in high school and, in fact, never heard of it until I saw it on a discount bookshelf at a local book store. Being a lover of historical fiction, I decided the time was right for me to delve into the American Revolution. Up to that point, most of the books that I had read from that period had been straightforward history books about the prominent figures of that time. What I discovered within the pages of "April Morning" was a compelling story of a young, Massachusetts boy forced to come of age as a result of the British advancement on Lexington. Howard Fast coaxes the reader to care about Adam Cooper and the men who struggled to maintain their rights. The characters and dialogue are well developed. There are many things to be said for this short novel (it spans the time of one day and is just over 200 pages long) but perhaps the most compelling indicator of its worth is its readability. A reader can get through this book in one day. This fact has more to do with the story than the size of the novel. Howard Fast wrote a timeless book worthy of any reader's attention.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read April Morning.