Steph Sinclair's Reviews > These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman

May 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2013-release, young-adult, sci-fi, disney-hyperion, come-out-already, aussie, cool-author, print-arc, audio-books, borrowed, signed-book, alternating-povs
Read from December 13 to 15, 2013 , read count: 1

More of a 3.5, I think.

These Broken Stars is going to be a hit or miss for a lot of people because it’s a survival book that has the characters walking through the wilderness almost the entire book. I usually hate books like these since it can get very boring. So, for me, I feel listening to the audiobook version of this book was a good decision. It has three narrators and they all did a marvelous job keeping me entertained as Tarver and Lilac wandered and wandered and wandered. The thing I loved was the plot twists because they were totally WTF-worthy. This is another one that feels very classically sci-fi with a pinch of Twilight Zone thrown in for good measure. The ending was so science-y that I can’t even begin to pick anything apart, so I’ll just stare off into the distance until I have book two, which I hear features two different characters. Interesting!

------
I seriously love this cover! There's this really fun interview with both Amie and Meagan up on the blog where Kat designs faux covers. Also, giveaway of an ARC!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Broken Stars.

12/13/2013 marked as: currently-reading
12/14/2013
50.0% "I love it when Johnathan McClain does Lilac's voice. So funny!"
12/14/2013
70.0% "WHAT?! WTF!!" 5 comments
12/15/2013
76.0% "What the hell is going on here?!" 1 comment
12/15/2013
89.0% "Oh, this is a mean book. Ladies, you are brutal. T_T" 2 comments
12/15/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Good interview! I entered your giveaway. :)

Steph Sinclair Caroline wrote: "Good interview! I entered your giveaway. :)"

Thanks, Caroline!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

What a funny interview. I'm not really in love with the cover (it reminds me of Tempest's cover) but the book sounds cool and I'm willing to give it a shot. :)

Faye, la Patata I love the cover, too. It's so beautiful. Definitely one of the best covers this 2013 so far :) The font is gorgeous, too! I think it's called Shiva...

Kate Copeseeley I don't know, it kind of looks like that green dress is trying to eat her. Although, the story looks great! Definitely going on my to-read list. I have to say, I may not have enjoyed "Across the Universe" very much, I loved that Revis kind of started this trend toward more YA sci-fi. It's always been sadly lacking, IMO.

Steph Sinclair @Rachel, It reminds me of Tempest's cover too, but I prefer how it's done here more. I'm not normally a "girl in a dress cover" kind of person, but I'm really liking it.

@Faye, I'm so impressed you know the font name! I'm clueless when it comes to stuff like that.

@Kate, I agree with you on YA Sci-Fi. I'm really happy to see more. It's become one of my favorite YA sub-genres.

Eva Rose You know I am a bit upset that we are going to get different characters in the next book and no more Lilac and Tarver. I felt like the author's could have done so much with that plot twist and expanded into a really series.

message 8: by Applebloom (new)

Applebloom It's a shame you didn't love it, but I'm glad you still liked it!

message 9: by O.R. (new) - added it

O.R. Really curious to see why only (?) 3.5 :]

message 10: by CK (new) - rated it 5 stars

CK Huhuhuhu. Looking forward to your thoughts on this one, Steph.

Jennifer I did the whispersync on this book, and I felt the narrators were fantastic, and did a great job. Sometimes audio is better than reading... for that purpose :)

message 12: by Steph (last edited Jan 13, 2014 10:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Steph Sinclair Jennifer wrote: "I did the whispersync on this book, and I felt the narrators were fantastic, and did a great job. Sometimes audio is better than reading... for that purpose :)"

I agree. They really did a great job. My favorite parts were the interview sections. I loved how they added the sound effects.

Darcy Morgan I'm currently reading this one, almost halfway through the book and it's kind of boring.

message 14: by Steph (last edited Jan 13, 2014 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Steph Sinclair Darcy wrote: "I'm currently reading this one, almost halfway through the book and it's kind of boring."

I can understand that. I think if I would have read it instead of listening to the audiobook like I ended up doing, I'm not sure it would have held my attention as much. Survival books aren't usually my thing.

But, it does start to get more interesting when the climax hits.

message 15: by Ally (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ally Oh yikes this is coming off my TBR list - anytime there's even a hint of wilderness survival I'm outta there. Ain't nobody got time for that !! :D

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda De Thank you for great insight! This book is not hooking me, but I hesitate to put it down, yet, I must because it's an Interlibrary Loan. If the book is at my library as audio, I will definitely finish, but I can't justify spending $9.99 to download. I was just so influenced by the cover and the reviews, and I hate to miss out if the ending is enchanting in some way!