Mike Davis's Reviews > What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets

What Money Can't Buy by Michael J. Sandel

Apr 24, 2013

bookshelves: non-fiction, political, economics
Read from June 09, 2012 to April 24, 2013

I am a big fan of Michael Sandel, Harvard professor of political philosophy. This book is a factual survey of the encroachment of advertising in American culture, and examines questions of ethical and moral considerations involved in determining what to leave to free markets and what to regulate or dismiss as inappropriate excess.

As in his famous lecture series and book on Justice, Sandel gives few if any answers, takes no sides, and leaves it up to his students and readers to do the critical thinking. Corporations bent on covering the country with invasive advertising will not like some of the examples and comparisons, but the answers are up to each of us to decide what we are willing to tolerate and how far we will allow it to go.

The book is factual and heavily documented. It is the type of book that every thoughtful person should read, not for entertainment but for an historical awareness of from where we came and to where we are going in determining the extent of unregulated free markets.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Money Can't Buy.

04/24/2013 marked as: read