Sophia's Reviews > Kissed in Paris

Kissed in Paris by Juliette Sobanet

May 10, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Read in May, 2012

This was an impulse read for me. I read the blurb and thought it sounded entertaining.

And this one was- very entertaining that is. It jumps right into the thick of things after a Prologue made up of a flurry of emails that clears the deck for the action. The emails were a cute, interesting way of introducing some of the characters without having to spend a ton of time introducing them.
It opens with our uptight American heroine destined to be married in one week's time getting sent by her boss to Paris. She wakes up on her last morning in Paris to a nightmare. It is all rather embarrassing and unnerving for Chloe Turner because for most of her life she has been in control of every detail of her life and that of those around her. Now she wakes up woozy and dressed only in her undies with everything she owns stolen. The thief left only a short sexy dress designed to draw attention and create suspicion. One drink with a stranger- handsome Frenchman though he was- lands Chloe as a prime suspect for a scheme to steal the money from the bank account she shares with her fiance'. Right when Chloe is being brought away by the police, something out of the ordinary happens. A stranger gives her a knee dropping kiss and spirits her away from the regular authorities claiming that he is an undercover agent sent in to deal with Claude DuBois the thief and he can help her get her passport and engagement ring back. Chloe surprises herself by going along with Julian who promises that his way is the only way. Going along with Julian, leads Chloe on the adventure of a lifetime with so many twists and turns that she is not sure what is going on or who to believe. Chloe wants to believe Julian even though he is the opposite of the kind of guy that she has always thought of as safe and reliable. Not that Chloe goes along with Julian quietly- she argues, she whines, she snoops, she doubts and she denies even her own feelings and instinct almost to the end. Julian's 'trust me's and thin explanations kept me from blaming her too much.

Plot was paced well with the chase taking Julian and Chloe on a whirlwind tour of France. I liked that many of the intriguing twists were not easily seen through. There is a little mystical element that was added in involving Chloe's mother. The narrative is told entirely from Chloe's perspective.

The characters were good. Sometimes Chloe got on my nerves with her control freak stuff, but she was still likeable nonetheless. Julian even for all his secrets was a dream. After the vineyard scenes, I just wanted to smack Chloe for being so obtuse about the guy because I liked him so much. Chloe's passel of sisters were hilarious and I loved their playful sistaluv for Chloe. Chloe's fiance was an interesting character. He was so pedantic. I kept thinking "Is he for real? Why does she stand him?". The story does explain their relationship eventually.

All in all, this was a fun read that I recommend to those who enjoy light Romantic Suspense/Comedy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kissed in Paris.