Julia's Reviews > The Goddess Legacy

bookshelves: mythology, young-adult, series-in-progress
Read on January 02, 2013

Rating: 4.5

Oh gods.

Greed, lust, infidelity, injustice, inequality, cruelty, violence, grudges – you would think the gods would be better behaved.

But they are not.

I looooooooved The Goddess Legacy. And I love it even more than I would have loved it because now everything makes so much more sense. And now I understand the pain that Hades experienced before Kate.

And honestly? The only gods I don’t totally dislike by the end of this book are Hades, sort of Hermes, and maybe a tiny bit Demeter.

Everyone else? Geez.

This story flows through Greek mythology but focusing on a different god for each part (the god most impacted, essentially).

Hera (Calliope): We start with Hera and how she became Zeus’s queen, then attempted to take over power. We learn what drove her to become the Calliope that Kate meets in the series. Hera’s story is a battle; you’ll feel sorry for her at times (I know I did) and others you will just not understand how she could jump from such a genuine hearted god to who she became (although you will understand it, you just wont like it).

Aphrodite (Ava): Now, Aphrodite does not really seem bad at all – though she is the queen of love, lust, and sex, in her segment of the story she seems almost inspired (just wait until Persephone…).

Persephone: to be honest, I really didn’t like her while reading the previous books in this series. She broke Hades heart, and he was so hung up on her he was afraid to love Kate. After reading her story, I kind of hate her even more. You will understand why she hurt Hades so much, but you will also see that she understood the consequences of her actions. She made some very selfish decisions, and eternally damned one of the only decent gods in the process.

Hermes (James): After Persephone’s story, you may not feel to kindly to Hermes (I know, so much drama being alluded too – its insane), but I really did love his story. Plus, he is a major catalyst for what is to come, and for what happens in the other books.

Hades (Henry): Ahh. I kinda love Hades. It is perfect that this ends with him, because although this entire book explains the tensions and relationships behind most of the major gods, it mostly explains everything there is to know about Hades, because although his section is short, he is part of everyone else’s. Hades is the one who was alone in the underworld while all of the other gods enjoyed Olympus, and because of that, he evaded a lot of the corruption that the others experienced.

And now, you are going to be even more impatient for the next book because more than anything you are going to want to read it. (And probably, re-read the other ones). I think this book would have been great to be #0.5 instead of #2.5, and come our right after book one did – I wish I knew a lot of this stuff prior to those books, although it may have given away too much about the dynamic behind the world that Kate was experiencing.

Amazing – couldn’t put it down. I recommend this even if you haven’t or are not planning to read the rest of the series, because it’s not as interconnected as the other stories and it may just make you want to pick up the rest of the books.

And, fun side note, I love the cover of every book of this series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goddess Legacy.