John-Philip's Reviews > The Caves of Steel

The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov

May 11, 12

bookshelves: electronic-books-i-license, science-fiction
Read from May 09 to 10, 2012 — I own a copy

I usually stay away from detective stories. Maybe it's because I'm tired of all the CSI spinoffs. I bought this book because I couldn't find I, Robot or Foundation (book 1) on Kindle store and it seemed highly rated. From the moment I started reading I couldn't stop. Sure, being written in the 40's make a few things very old while trying to be thousands of year in the future. The fact that NYC has 20 million people in this book required a new society, a "City" where everyone live in metal city-domes with everything provided and meticulously measured and distributed - because that many people can't live together any other way. In our world we have cities larger than that and are no where near that fictioned mixture of communism and socialism. So for me, the world always seemed unrealistic and "old" when it's supposed to be the future. Which breaks immersion a bit. But the detective story and the relationship between the human cop and his robot partner really held it together. As I mentioned, I couldn't stop reading, so I give it top marks!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Caves of Steel.