Julie H.'s Reviews > The House of Bernarda Alba: A Drama About Women in Villages of Spain

The House of Bernarda Alba by Federico García Lorca

May 10, 12

bookshelves: drama-play
Read in May, 2012

Ideally, I would like to rate The House of Bernarda Alba 3 1/2 (vs. only three) stars. I was intrigued by the setting (small village in southern Spain), the period (eve of Spanish Civil War), and themes (e.g., family dysfunction, social mores, sibling rivalry, parent willing to make her daughters' lives unbearable if it permits her to maintain appearances and the high opinion of neighbors she openly despises).

While Bernarda Alba the character is a hateful so-and-so, she is compelling and the story timeless. The play did not disappoint.

This play was intriguing, picqued my interest in reading more of Garcia Lorca's work (both poems and plays) and most definitely has me keen to see this work performed on stage. While the very ending seemed a bit rushed to me, I imagine that how it is actually staged could easily overcome that potential obstacle.

All told, an interesting play, a quick read, and anyone looking for an all-woman work to cast/produce could do a whole lot worse than this play and edition (i.e., the Emily Mann adaptation).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Bernarda Alba.