Manda Collins's Reviews > Beautiful Sacrifice

May 09, 2012

bookshelves: romantic-suspense
Recommended to Manda by: Criminal Element
Read from May 09 to 13, 2012

A new take on the upcoming Maya 2012 prophecy, Beautiful Sacrifice features archeologist, and Mayan descendent Dr. Lina Taylor. Lina's family is, in a word, complicated. Her father is a noted archeologist who made his career studying the Maya. Her mother is a member of the Reyes Balam family, which is descended from the alliance between the Mayan royalty and the Spanish conquistadors. She also happens to deal in antiquities--a serious no-no for archeologists. So built into the family dynamic is a conflict between the archeologists (Lina and her father) and the dealer (Lina's mother). A few years ago, Lina's father was involved in a scandal that cost him his credibility in the archeological world, and unfortunately, as her father's daughter, Lina has been tarred with the same brush. Now she works for her family's Museum of the Maya in Houston and teaches some classes on the side.

It's in one of her classes that she first meets former ICE agent Hunter Johnston, who caught her eye from the first. When he comes to her to learn more about some Mayan artifacts that have been stolen from an ICE warehouse, she knows immediately that if these artifacts aren't fakes they could set the archeological world on fire. Unfortunately, some bad guys have also concluded that and are doing whatever it takes to keep Lina and Hunter from finding the artifacts. There's also the added complication (I said it was complicated, didn't I?) of some men who seem intent on bringing Lina back to their leader: El Maya.

I really enjoyed the relationship between Lina and Hunter. He's smart enough to know that she's smarter than he is on a lot of things. And they form what can be termed a partnership in the best possible sense. I loved their interactions, and seeing Lina and her crazy family through his eyes. The mystery and it's ties to the Mayan prophecy was fascinating. It was a take on the Maya 2012 thing that I haven't seen before: ie, from an insider's perspective. The climax of the story on the Reyes Balam estate is pretty over the top, but in context, believable.

Am I now afraid that the world will end on December 21? No. But it was fun to think it might while I read this book:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Sacrifice.

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen OH, I have this one on my wish list. Please inform me on what you think of this book.

Manda Collins I will, Kathleen. So far so good:)

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Manda wrote: "I will, Kathleen. So far so good:)"

Thanks Mandy