Taunalee Clark's Reviews > Across The Wide And Lonesome Prairie: The Oregon Trail Diary Of Hattie Campbell

Across The Wide And Lonesome Prairie by Kristiana Gregory

Jun 13, 12

bookshelves: ya-lit-1-12
Read in May, 2012

Hattie Campbell's father has just announced that they are going to Oregon. The Campbells now have to leave their old life behind and cross the plains to their new home. This book chronicles the joys, challenges, and heartaches of the pioneer lifestyle, through the eyes of a 14-year-old girl.

I have loved the Dear America series since seventh grade. I adore historical fiction, and I have always thought these books are the perfect way to introduce teens to prominent historical events in America's history. "Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie," by Kristiana Gregory, is a wonderful journey across the plains with Hattie Campbell. The book is written in journal format through Hattie's eyes. The writing is simple, and it's a very quick read, which is very refreshing from time to time. Gregory does an excellent job helping readers to understand the trials, tragedies, and triumphs of a pioneer's journey. It discusses the fear, mental war, and the physical strength of the brave souls who made the treacherous journey from Missouri to Oregon. I would recommend this book to anyone ages 11 and up. The Dear America books are the perfect way to introduce anyone to events in our nation's history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across The Wide And Lonesome Prairie.