Judy's Reviews > Possessions

Possessions by Nancy Holder

May 09, 12

bookshelves: for-mimi, horror, read-in-2012, ya
Read in May, 2012

Really, really great. I couldn't put it down. I'm surprised that the reviews are so mixed, because I picked this one up at the library without knowing anything about it. The story sounded like a fairly generic boarding school story, but that was what I was in the mood for (scholarship student, check. Dead parent, check. Troubled past friendships, check). It turned out to be much more than that.

I found myself getting wound up like Lindsay, who suffered a nervous breakdown at her old school. She's not sure if all the strange things she's seeing are real, even as she is trying to protect her best friend from the awful things that await her. What I liked about Lindsay was that she didn't just randomly start believing in ghosts. She kept on looking for rational explanations. She is also loyal to her friend, and attempted to stand up for some of the girls who were being attacked by the mean girls. I also liked though that she succumbs to peer pressure just as easily, and is desperate to fit in as well. She is walking herself down the familiar path that she has travelled before and is trying desperately to stop herself.

The atmosphere of the school was genuinely creepy and I felt chills running up and down my spine as I was reading this. When the cat knocked a book off the table, I jumped off of my seat.

The only thing about this book that was so-so was the romance. Didn't care for it. Didn't care about yet another boy who is muscly hot and who of course, is the queen bee's current boy toy.

Best thing to do though when reading this book is to read it without reading the synopsis. I'm not sure what's with the recent trend where the synopsis gives everything away. Why is this necessary?

I am definitely picking up the next book in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Possessions.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi I'll put this on my to-read! Get a profile pic!

Judy You might find it cheesy! I think I was just in the right mood for it. You should look on the library website to see if it's available for download onto your kobo (you have a kobo right?).

And I will get around to the profile pic. Haha.