Jessica's Reviews > The Atonement Child

The Atonement Child by Francine Rivers

May 09, 12

Read in May, 2012

What a deep read! The premise of the book is rape and abortion, both horrifically nightmare inducing topics. If you have a weak system, do not read this book. If, however, you do find yourself desiring to place your feet into a rape victims' shoes, please put them on carefully. A very heart wrenching look into the REAL church culture surrounding abortion and the hypocrisy we tend to hide. Francine Rivers never fails to provoke intense reflection and a desire to live a better life. This book will bring you to your knees literally, and you will go through a box of kleenex. You may even find yourself challenging your own church family to better educate and love their own. I read this at a time when a woman made news for being fired from her teaching job after becoming pregnant, and while under different circumstances; I find myself questioning the morality. Would they have her abort the baby and keep it a secret, enabling her to keep her job? What a humbling thought. As christians, we are called to love; and again Ms. Rivers points out the inner selfish desires that cause us to overlook the voice of God pleading with us to open our hearts and arms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Atonement Child.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ketsia (new) - added it

Ketsia Mulopo uuummm···guys how do u read books on this site anyway?

Jessica You don't :) It's a review site. You read reviews, write reviews, and it gives you recommendations based on what you have read. :)

Laura Stryker I loved it. I love that it explains the pain the mother feels. I love that it gives an answer to the so often asked questions why? How could you? compassion always triumphs over judgement.