Librarian's Reviews > The Robe Of Skulls

The Robe Of Skulls by Vivian French

205321
Oct 28, 09

Read in October, 2009

I picked this one up for the delightfully Halloween-ish cover. Plus the fact that the whole plot revolves around an evil sorceress who is doing all her evil in pursuit of an awesome dress, which- come on- is a good premise.

Good things: the Tim Burton-y fantasy world that the author creates, with funny, witty bad guys. The illustrations that are sprinkled throughout.

Not so hot things: The good people were a lot less interesting than the bad ones, which I suppose happens so I can't fault the author too much. The plot was a little low on backstory. Why did the sorceress lose her gold? Why is everyone trekking around to kingdoms that are sort of related?

Still, I would definitely recommend this as a great not-so-scary, not so hard read for kids around 3rd to 5th grade.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Robe Of Skulls.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Umm, of course evil people are more interesting then good people. How is that even a question?

Librarian More interesting evilness is expected, yes. But good people who are 100% snoozefests? Then it's not even an interesting fight.