Joan Lattanzio's Reviews > The Vow: The Kim and Krickitt Carpenter Story

The Vow by Kim Carpenter

May 09, 12

Ugh. I decided to read the book that had been on the back of every shelf of every single library in the world (for good reason) because after seeing the trailer for the movie I was compelled to look for the book.. Being a reader myself and as im sure everyone thinks the same, books are always leagues aways from the movie.. So I started reading it, to make the story short I believe the movie will be better than the book. Something unheard of right? I havent seen it yet but ill give it that at least. I expect not to be completely dissapointed.. I even think the one star is too much. Repetitive and dull and full of God and the bible, not a book about love at all, if romance is what you seek. If id known before starting the book that the protagonist was actually religion it wouldnt have been so overbearing, but I didnt so I hated it. I mean they didnt even stay together for their love because im quiet sure she wasnt even feeling it at the moment, they were together for their vows to God and because being the religious people that they were (or are) they didnt want to get a divorce. That being said, theyre togehter so kudos to them. Anyways, the only reason to even consider this book is if you love God and faith and religion. Boring.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vow.

message 1: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Burzynski Well I'll tell you this much. I only saw the movie. There was nothing about God in the movie. Only a spoiled rich girl. Who was a bitch to her MOTHER for staying with her father after getting cheated on. And she seemed more upset about that then finding out who she was. Was the book any better? I wanted to shut the movie off or tell this spoiled girl off!?

Yuliya But movie is much better without all this always annoying Christian stuff fulfilling Christians books (I accidently run in books like that again and again)

message 3: by Kadie D♥ (new)

Kadie D♥ What was so beautiful in the movie was the unconditional and very strong love of her husband. They even signed divorcepapers, but it's not only about the vows. It's about her finding out who she is again and again chooses to be together with her husband. The beauty of the movie, was that it was about a couple who love each other, not about loving God. Love for God is good, but that shouldn't be the reason people stay together. It has nothing to do with God, people should stay together because they love each other. Love should always be the reason, nothing else.

message 4: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Sumner fairweather I agree, I didn't see much "love" in the book, it was more like "obsession" from the husband, and poor Krickett is kind of just going along for the ride really. I honestly think she stayed with him because what the heck else was she going to do? I think they did fall back in love, but I found the husband completely creeping and overbearing, this book sucked in my opinion. (did not and do not want to see the movie!)

Dasha Hernandez I agree. Dull. I couldn't finish it. Barely got to the part where Kim is kind of surprised by a brilliant suggestion of their clever therapist to "date his wife all over again to get to know one another" duh! And just couldn't stand it any longer. To me that was the obvious common sense thing to do given everything that happened. Although, I was surprised to learn that they actually dated lol I was under impression that they've been talking on the phone about God and read a bible when they did meet in person. Then got married. I was not aware they went to movies, had dinner with friends and went bowling lol IMO, the way they met and decided to get married was somewhat "mechanical". Not romantic at all. Very calculated and business like. Almost like an arranged marriage then she forgot who he was. Coaching her an being tuff on her during her therapy and making her hate him for it did not help her like him either lol dumb dumb dumb :)