Jason's Reviews > The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

May 22, 12

Read from May 09 to 21, 2012

Like most folks within this book, and those who have read it, I was unfamiliar with the story of Henrietta Lacks and the profound effect of her cells on the medical research community. Skloot provides an easily digestable and enjoyable read that profiles how this amazing strain of indestructable (and cancerous) form of life came to be and perpetuates to this day. Along the way, we learn who 'HeLa' was and the family that had been left behind by her untimely death.

It is easy to see why Skloot has won awards and other recognitions for her work in science writing. This book reads and feels like a long form science magazine article or documentary transcript. Unfortunately, at times, too much so. I would have liked to see her challenge the issues that she is so clearly introducing in her narrative (i.e. race relations and medicine, tissue proprietorshp, etc.), as opposed to simply 'reporting' about these topics.

Ultimately, it is an important story, worth the telling and the listening.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Callan This one is on my "to read" list, so I am looking forward to your review.