Kimmae's Reviews > The Blessing of a Skinned Knee: Using Jewish Teachings to Raise Self-Reliant Children

The Blessing of a Skinned Knee by Wendy Mogel

U 50x66
Dec 09, 08

Read in December, 2008

I try not to read to many "self help" books especially parenting. I'm glad I read "The Blessing ...".

I enjoyed the introduction to Jewish traditions and the approach. My favorite is "deed not creed" meaning it is not what you believe but what you do, let the beliefs follow the actions. First this is completely opposite my eclectic christian background and it makes immediate sense to me. Second this makes raising children much more simple - work on their actions and their beliefs will follow. Clearly not really that simple but a good start.

Though I'm much less authoritarian than the author I found myself keeping her tenets (blessings) in mind through the days. In particular I like how she repeats the theme that it is the children's jobs to be the way there are whether asking for things, wanting the children's food groups of sweet/crunchy/creamy/etc, or being less than civilized and the parent's job to guide them to self-control, better choices.

Highly recommended. If you enjoyed the Jewish introduction I also recommend "The Year of Living Biblically" - light, funny, full of information about the bible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blessing of a Skinned Knee.