Chachic's Reviews > Throne of Glass

bookshelves: review-copy, received-as-gifts
Recommended to Chachic by: Flannery
Read from July 04 to 06, 2012

Originally posted here.

I first noticed Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass when several Goodreads friends began reading review copies of the book. It's been getting a lot of attention lately and I heard positive things about it so I became curious. My friend Janice generously sent a copy and since I wasn't in the middle of anything when it arrived, I started on it right away.

Well, that didn't turn out as well as I expected. I'm a huge fan of YA epic fantasy when it's done well. Unfortunately, I didn't feel like that was the case with Throne of Glass. The premise had so much promise - I wanted to read about an assassin trying to balance court intrigue with the fierce competition to become the King's Champion. After just a few chapters, I knew I wasn't going to get what I expected. I found it odd that an assassin as notorious as Celaena is more concerned about her looks and her dresses rather than honing her fighting skills. I was surprised by how often the characters focused on physical appearances rather than personalities - even the prince kept noticing how pretty Celaena is when he should be noting how well she fights as his candidate in the competition. Aside from not being fully invested in the characters, I wasn't impressed by the world-building, either. I was initially intrigued by the mystery in the novel - what the country's history was like, why magic has been banned, who was behind the murders - but that eventually fell flat for me. I don't know, it just wasn't as tightly woven (if that makes sense) as I'd like.

I also wasn't a fan of the love triangle in Throne of Glass because I felt like it wasn't necessary and the romance felt under-developed because of it. Sigh, I hate to be so negative in a review but I just wanted to list the reasons why I felt like Throne of Glass didn't work for me. I was even tempted to DNF the book because I found the last hundred pages or so dragging, I just wanted to get it over with. It felt like I was reading paranormal YA (which I try to stay away from as much as possible) instead of epic fantasy. As always, feel free to pick up the book if this looks like the kind of thing you'll enjoy reading, I've seen mixed reviews for it so I guess it really depends on how well you'll be able to connect with the story. I feel like Throne of Glass would work for readers who haven't read the likes of Robin McKinley, Megan Whalen Turner or Kristin Cashore. But if you're like me and you're aware of the awesomeness of other novels, I have a feeling you'll just be disappointed. Throne of Glass will be released August 7, 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

07/04/2012 page 8
07/05/2012 page 21
5.0% "I find it odd than a well-known assassin is so concerned about her looks." 4 comments
07/06/2012 page 235
56.0% "Not loving this one... I think the main character focuses more on her dresses and the food that she eats rather than, you know, actually being an assassin. I'm not that impressed with her skillz (which includes being pretty enough for two guys to fall in love with her)." 12 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hirondelle (new)

Hirondelle I think we are now starting to see stuff sort of inspired by MWT. At least the blurb made me think of it, doesn´t it?

Chachic I added this to my wishlist because Flannery mentioned that it reminds her of the Queen's Thief series, Graceling and Poison Studies.

message 3: by Hirondelle (new)

Hirondelle ah, ok! You know that starcrossed series by Elizabeth Bunce? it was being marketed as MWT-like (wow, was that a disappointment for me), and this blurb seemed a bit similar as well.

Chachic Yeah, I know those books. I was curious because it was being promoted as MWT-like but then I saw mixed reviews so I never got around to reading it. Have you heard of The False Prince? That's another book that keeps getting MWT comparisons. I'm thinking I'll wait for the paperback to come out before I get a copy.

message 5: by Hirondelle (new)

Hirondelle Well, at least MWT is now so popular is is creating comparisons in blurbs ( we were hipsters apparently :)

I saw the comparisons to this book but its reviews by my GR friends seem mixed. I am downloading a sample right now, if I want it, the 10% bookdepository discount is ongoing till the 14th or 15th, enough time to order it if the sample turns out to be really good!

Chachic *Sounis high five*

LOL so funny that we're both thinking of the Book Depository discount! I haven't ordered yet because I can't decide what to get - there are so many books that I want.

message 7: by Hirondelle (new)

Hirondelle It is getting closer to the deadline so I have to decide - and had some free time this morning (my time zone) was cleaning up my wishlists and stalking goodreads for news of upcoming books of favorite authors. I try to pre-order books whenever possible ( am impatient, and it is quite a bit cheaper as well at the BD).

I have been relatively good and only got 3 things, which had been languishing in my wishlist for years (only one fiction actually) but now my finger is itching to get the new patrice kindl novel as well!

message 8: by Crowinator (new) - added it

Crowinator I want to read this because of the comparisons with MWT, too (I saw Flannery's review too!). Mentioning MWT pretty much guarantees that I'll read it as soon as I can. Starcrossed, too, though it seems like any book involving a thief is getting these comparisons suddenly.

I enjoyed The False Prince but probably not enough to buy it. I get everything from my library first. I'd love to know what someone who hasn't read MWT's The Thief thinks of The False Prince, though; I have a feeling it won't feel as predictable to them.

message 9: by Hirondelle (new)

Hirondelle Crowinator, now that is intriguing (though not enough for me to buy a hc). But definetely checking that sample before the BD discount runs out!

message 10: by Vi (new) - added it

Vi Vi MWT is?

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth I've never even heard of this one, but if y'all say it draws comparisons to MWT - on my to-read list it goes!

I was wondering if the MWT-like hype of the Starcrossed series affected my opinions on it. Because I thought it suffered in comparison - but if the comparison hadn't been made, would I have thought that?

message 12: by Hirondelle (new)

Hirondelle I am sure my opinion of starcross was worse because of the comparison ( inevitable. It would not have occurred to me on my own to compare those books!) but without the comparison I would not have bought it! So maybe the comparison worked, sold copies. Though the risk was the novel was more likely to disappoint then which of course it did.

I am very once bitten, twice shy. Very wary of all these MWT like blurbs because of starcross - I am maybe unfairly mentally cataloguing those together.

message 13: by Crowinator (new) - added it

Crowinator Vi wrote: "MWT is?"

Chachic Crowinator, I'd probably be willing to read Starcrossed and The False Prince if we had good public libraries here and I could borrow them! But since I buy most of the books that I read, I wait for feedback and since those two got mixed reviews, I think I'll wait. I requested Throne of Glass from NetGalley and got denied. :(

Chachic Crowinator wrote: "Vi wrote: "MWT is?"

Maybe someone already answered you, but MWT = Megan Whalen Turner, author of the Queen's Thief series."

You forgot to mention that she's our favorite author. :P

message 16: by Steph Su (new)

Steph Su I'm curious to see what you think of this one. The prequel novella didn't work for me so I figured this one's probably not for me either.

Chachic I'm curious too, because of all the hype. Really? Maybe I should have tried the prequel novella before starting on this but we'll see.

message 18: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Painter I almost read that prequel. I wonder now if I should have. Trying not to make assumptions and jump to conclusions.

Chachic Brandy, at least we're reading this at the same time! We can chat about it here on Goodreads or on Twitter.

message 20: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Painter Yes! That should make it interesting.