Greg's Reviews > The Ferguson Rifle

The Ferguson Rifle by Louis L'Amour

Sep 12, 08

Read in January, 1972

Like most of Louis L'Amour's novels this was an enjoyable tale if you like his style and approach. However, what made this one a bit more remarkable for me was the history. L'Amour is known for blending fiction with some fact and real people, places, and events in his novels. This one was no exception, in that a real historical figure, Patrick Ferguson, made a brief appearance. The inventor of an early innovation in firearms technology, Ferguson might have played a key role in the American Revolution, except that he died prematurely. Indeed, some historians believe that had he lived and championed the technology he invented, and had the British military adopted it, it could have proven the difference in the outcome of the war. But that didn't happen.

A year or so ago, I had the opportunity to visit South Carolina, where I was able to learn more about Ferguson's life. Quite a remarkable man. That has happened often as I read L'Amour's novels...they have led me to read Plutarch (the Lives and the Moralia), numerous biographies, and to explore other historical and classical literature. For that alone, his novels have been important in my life.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ferguson Rifle.