Marjorie's Reviews > Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives

Peace Is Every Breath by Thích Nhất Hạnh

F_50x66
May 17, 12

bookshelves: buddhism, from-nypl, random-find-browsing-in-library, religion-spirituality, self-help, non-fiction
Read from May 09 to 17, 2012

Like the author's earlier book "Peace is Every Step," "Peace is Every Breath" is a slim volume of short chapters, written using deceptively simple language and metaphors, that explains deep Buddhist concepts with a clarity that sometimes feels like a revelation. (In particular, when I read the sections on right mindfulness and wrong mindfulness, something clicked and I felt that I understood the concept of mindfulness in a way that I hadn't before.)

The book begins with concrete suggestions for cultivating mindfulness and concentration while doing everyday activities, such as waking up, washing your face, and brushing your teeth. The topics then become broader and more abstract, touching on subjects such as breaking out of the prison of the past, contemplating impermanence, and the nature of true love.

The book also contains calligraphy by the author and two appendixes -- a selection of short verses ("gathas") that can be recited during daily activities to bring the mind back to the present moment, and an updated version of the "Five Mindfulness Trainings," aka the "Five Precepts," for guidance on "the path of ever deepening wisdom."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peace Is Every Breath.