Savannah's Reviews > The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

May 22, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, librarybook, series
Read from May 08 to 21, 2012

Okay, I'll admit right up front that I find the "clever thief" trope almost always appealing. And so I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to dashing right into the sequel.

This is, however, what I only hope to be an early work for this writer. He has a delightful imagination but I think there's room for growth in the characterization area: there's still a bit more tell than feel, and going all sweary, however well-executed, is not a fully-realized portrayal of emotion when we finally get to the crisis. And the protagonist has just a touch too much of the old Dirk TM Pitt keeps-on-ticking-despite-dire-injuries endurance: when everyone's beating on him, he really should wear down a bit instead of just adding yet more swearing.

It's necessary to grant the author a bit of indulgence in the first few chapters. He tries a bit too hard and he shows off in the verbal cleverness department more than he really needs to and he's clearly having a lot more fun at this point than the reader is. Stay with it, though: he calms down and gets down to business and the tale is worth the investment.

Good world-building. Good cast of characters. It should appeal to classic fantasy fans as well as those who favor the more modern urban genre (no werewolves or vampires, but the magicians are a bad lot). There's swearing, mostly a few standards and not a lot of detail to worry the sexually squeamish. In fact, no sex. Still, I think it's a book that belongs on the adult shelves rather than YA, although I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to teens looking to read up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies of Locke Lamora.