Rae's Reviews > The Darkest Surrender

The Darkest Surrender by Gena Showalter

May 09, 12

liked it
Read in May, 2012

I want to make it clear that this review is NOT saying that this series is bad...it truly is a good series. (Even though Gena Showalter has a cookie-cutter recipe that ALL of the books in this series follows...)

However, I realized another reason I suspect that Gena Showalter may be a man (other than a LOT of sexual innuendos/fantasies that seems to cater to a male audience rather than a female audience) ...that Rhea, the Queen of the Titans is the leader of the bad guys while Kronos, her husband is the leader of the good guys. (that struck me as strange).

In this series, Rhea, started betraying her husband long before she was possessed by Strife. So the concept that she would align herself with bad guys who rape, murder, misuse/abuse children, belittle/de-value women, etc, etc... would (should) offend most female readers...while many of the countries on this planet participate in Human Trafficking--where all of the above behavior takes place. Not only does the authorities of many countries turn the other way-but most of them are on the pay-roll...(by the way...Human Trafficking is a male dominated market). (...but I'm going to get off of THAT soap-box).

Anywho...

Men tend to feel as though women are the root of all evil while most women feel that if men didn't rule most of the countries on this planet, we wouldn't have as much trouble on this planet...or attaining world peace. (hint...we like to TALK things out).

Lastly, If we were to use the 80/20 rule: It would seem logical that an author of romance novels whose target audience are women would want to appeal to the 80% and take their chances with the other 20%, than alienate the 80% by taking the stance that the root of evil lies with a woman.

That's my 2 cents.

My opinion will not stop me from reading the books in this series because the stories are genuinely entertaining
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Surrender.