Philip's Reviews > A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

May 21, 12

bookshelves: 2012, audio-book, classics, a-good-story-is-hard-to-find, public-library, favorites
Read from May 10 to 21, 2012

Dickens is one of my favorite authors, and this is my favorite book of his. Probably the best fictional story I have ever experienced, his use of language conveys so much depth and feeling it required much repetition to really appreciate it. It's so amazing to me how he can make such simple observations of people so captivating by the way he writes. I'm not a fan of poetry, but Dickens poetic writing just blows me away. It's a hallmark of Dickens to create lovable and endearing characters, A Tale Of Two Cities contains some of his best. Simon Prebble's narration was masterful, it wouldn't have seemed right without a good English accent reading this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Two Cities.

Quotes Philip Liked

Charles Dickens
“I should like to ask you: -- Does your childhood seem far off? Do the days when you sat at your mother's knee, seem days of very long ago?" Responding to his softened manner, Mr. Lorry answered: "Twenty years back, yes; at this time of my life, no. For, as I draw closer and closer to the end, I travel in the circle, nearer and nearer to the beginning. It seems to be one of the kind smoothings and preparings of the way. My heart is touched now, by many remembrances that had long fallen asleep, of my pretty young mother (and I so old!), and by many associations of the days when what we call the World was not so real with me, and my faults were not confirmed with me.”
Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

Charles Dickens
“The night wore out, and, as he stood upon the bridge listening to the water as it splashed the river-walls of the Island of Paris, where the picturesque confusion of houses and cathedral shone bright in the light of the moon, the day came coldly, looking like a dead face out of the sky. Then, the night, with the moon and the stars, turned pale and died, and for a little while it seemed as if Creation were delivered over to Death's dominion. But, the glorious sun, rising, seemed to strike those words, that burden of the night, straight and warm to his heart in its long bright rays. And looking along them, with reverently shaded eyes, a bridge of light appeared to span the air between him and the sun, while the river sparkled under it.”
Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities