Natasha's Reviews > BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes

BakeWise by Shirley O. Corriher

Dec 03, 12

bookshelves: to-read, cookbook

The science and secrets of baking revealed. The eternal question of why does my chocolate always seize is answered at last. Here is a woman who not only understands the exacting standards of baking, she embraces the hard science behind them. No pinch of this, a dash of that typical cookbook garbage here. She details the recipes with step by step technique rich descriptions; if she calls for a cup of flour, she specifiesy exactly what type and brand she means and reminds you how a cup is to be measured.

My only complaints are that 1. no recipe can ever have an equal number of egg yolks as egg whites (indeed she encourages you to depart from such parsimonious concerns) and 2. she insists that pie crusts must have lard (triggering an automatic gross out factor for me). I continue to only make tarts (with their lardless crusts) and to pair up recipes needing more yolks with those needing more whites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read BakeWise.