Ed's Reviews > The Captain Must Die

The Captain Must Die by Robert Colby

May 11, 12

Recommended to Ed by: Ed Gorman
Recommended for: hard-boiled fans of revenge novels
Read from May 09 to 11, 2012

Robert Colby was from the Gold Medal Books stable of writers who didn't rack up the impressive sales of his colleagues like Gil Brewer, Charles Williams, and Peter Rabe. Still, Colby had a remarkable career and was a very fine writer. This hardboiled revenge yarn (1959) held my attention all the way until the somewhat surprising ending.

Basically, a captain caught three WW II vets trying to desert, and had them arrested and court martialed. Twelve years later, the three vets are freed from prison and go after the captain and his wife. To complicate matters, one of the vets also had an affair with the wife.

Colby devotes a lot of prose giving us his characters' thoughts as well as liberal amounts of dialogue. The combination works, for the most part. I liked the novel's WW II themes, Army attitudes, and settings. One of the three vets, Brick, is wickedly portrayed. THE CAPTAIN MUST DIE gave me two evenings of entertaining reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Captain Must Die.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh I'm looking forward to reading more of his novels. I've only been able to find the Secret of the Second Door in my used bookstore searches.

message 2: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Kurt wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading more of his novels. I've only been able to find the Secret of the Second Door in my used bookstore searches."

Good to hear, Kurt. I was impressed enough to read other Colby titles. I'll look for Second Door though he hasn't been on my radar until this first book. Thanks for the comment.