Andrew's Reviews > Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived

Love Wins by Rob Bell

Jun 10, 15

Read in June, 2015 , read count: 2

This year I am rereading all the books that have stopped me in my tracks and forced me to think about my life and the world differently. Life changing books. The books you have to keep buying over and over because you lend them out to friends who like the book so much they pass it along to one of their friends.
Love Wins is on that list. And it is better than I remember.
I grew up in a church whose idea of God causes a lot of suffering in the world. Although the church I grew up in is full of a lot of great human beings, the Jesus they believe in is not the same Jesus I believe in. That being said, most churches don't believe in the Jesus of the bible, which is really confusing because often they use scripture (out of context) to support their views.
And now, even as my beliefs/spirituality/life experience/ect. are strongly influenced by secular humanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and a few others, I am happy to say that Jesus and Christianity is still an important story. Ignoring the teachings of Jesus would be ignoring a really important and loving message.
You can still like a band even though you hate their fans. You can still like Jesus even though 99% of the people who say they follow him are “hell”-bent on being terrible intolerant people. And these people who call themselves Christians who are not accepting of women's rights, gender equality, marriage equality, and other religions and who support senseless violence, economic corruption, intolerance,... are hurting the most and feed off our anger towards bad Christians, creating a worse feedback loop (in some ways, they want to be hated because it supports their painful worldview). We should be showing these misguided Christians love, the love that god has for all of us. Everyone is deserving of love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Wins.