Helen's Reviews > Bared to You

Bared to You by Sylvia Day

May 17, 12

bookshelves: meh, romance, ugandan-discussions
Read from May 16 to 17, 2012

Two to two and a half. Would have been a solid three if author wrapped it up in one book.

It was an interesting read. But conflicts got a bit too soap-operaish. Granted, the drama is somewhat justified (view spoiler), but it was still over-the-top sometimes.

Regarding similarities with Fifty Shades: no more than similarities between Twilight and Dead Until Dark. Though it's my opinion only. Author and publisher obviously have no problem with this book being seen as the successor of Fifty Shades, so I won't say it's not right to compare.

In fact, I'll make a few comparisons: first, this book is vastly better written. Sex scenes have purple prose as usual, but nowhere as narmy as Fifty Shades. There is no BDSM, though dominant/submissive play is mentioned. It's not written as a fanfic. Not only fanfic of Fifty, a fanfic period. I've read enough of those to recognise the style. Fifty has it. So does City of Bones. Even Twilight, to a degree. But not this book. It's a plain romance/erotica, even though it did end on a bit of a cliffhanger - but this trend has unfortunately invaded recent literature in general.

The further the novel went on, less and less similar it seemed. There is enough, though, to suggest a possibility that the author did read this and pick up a few things from it. Still not any more derivative than Dungeons&Dragons is of Tolkien.

I'm not sure if I'll pick up the sequel though. I think it'll be pretty predicatable and soap-operaish. We will probably get more blast from the past and other plot devices to stretch the plot to fit into a trilogy. I am a bit intrigued by the psychological aspect though and a little curious to see how it will be handled. Maybe I'll try to get one through a giveaway or pick up/borrow an used copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bared to You.

05/16/2012 page 22
6.0% "*sigh* Not sure what to think. There are a few familiar details."
05/16/2012 page 23
6.0% ""I had never seen hair that purely black. It was glossy and slightly long, the ends drifting over his collar. That sexy length was the crowning touch of bad boy hotness over the successful businessman, like whipped cream topping on a hot fudge brownie sundae. As my mother would say, only rogues and raiders had hair like that." Good grief. After An Affair with Mr. Kennedy, this is painful."
05/16/2012 page 184
51.0% "Hm. It seems more and more different."