Farrah's Reviews > Wilde's Fire

Wilde's Fire by Krystal Wade

May 13, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in May, 2012

This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

Excellent, unique, and truly spectacular! Wilde's Fire starts off with a bang and doesn't slow down. Everything about this book was amazing.

The story starts off quickly. Kate, her sister, and her best friend (Brad) are camping. They find a cave, not realizing it's a portal to another world, and fall into the world of Encardia. There she meets the man of her dreams (literally) and finds out that she is the subject of a prophecy and meant to save the world from the Darkness that has taken it over.

First of all, Kate is a wonderful character. She's strong and more than capable of fulfilling her role in the prophecy. When she's told about the portal and the magic, she's understandably skeptical but she accepts the reality and her role as the savior. That was especially nice, because it's more than a little frustrating when the main character in so many YA books refuses to accept the truth. What I especially loved is that, even though she's dreamed about the love interest, she doesn't just fall into his arms. She waits to actually know the man in real life before beginning their relationship. She's tough, smart, and has won her way onto my list of favorite female leads.

Arland, the love interest, is BRILLIANT. I adored him; he's sweet, hot, and basically perfect in every way. Kate had dreamed of him for years and when they finally meet in real life, sparks fly. Their relationship develops realistically despite the whole dream thing. And when they do get together, their relationship is heartwarming in it's devotion and pure, true love. It was uber-sweet that Kate's magic was based on their love. That might not make sense now, but when you read the book, the meaning is clear-and unbelievably sweet. But let's get back to Arland. He's one of the best love interests I've read. Truly, he will capture your heart without a doubt.

One of the most interesting elements of this book, however is Kate's relationship with her best friend, Brad. I don't want to say to much and give away the most exciting part of the story, but-wow-their relationship is complicated. Brad has been in love with Kate for years, but Kate doesn't love him in return. But that's not where it ends. Throughout the course of the book, their relationship is redefined so many times that it made my head spin. When I thought I understood it, something would happen that completely changed the game. My feelings about Brad changed so many times that I can't tell you how I feel about him after finishing the book. His character is dynamic and without a doubt one of the most interesting I've ever read. (BTW: for those who worry about a love triangle, don't worry. The situation with Brad doesn't turn into one.)

The story, as I said, is fast-paced and kept me riveted the entire time. Every moment is interesting, every page has excitement. And the ending was AMAZING. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book. I swear, I'm going to go crazy with anxiety trying to figure out what will happen next. The last line of the book is one of my favorite quotes:

"My name is Katriona Wilde and I have fire."
(Honestly, that describes her perfectly)

Wilde's Fire is a brilliant book. Everything about it is absolute perfection!

5/5

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wilde's Fire.