Alex's Reviews > Olycksfågeln

Olycksfågeln by Camilla Läckberg

May 10, 12

bookshelves: mystery
Read from May 09 to 10, 2012

Er, this should be titled "The Stranger" in English, instead of the Swedish, but I think it's the fourth book. Anyway, this one wasn't particularly good. I guessed the murderer early on and the reveal seemed dull. Maybe it was because I was reading the British edition, but it didn't seem to pack as much of a punch as the American translations?

Also, what the hell is up with Swedish crime novels that are anti-misogyny but are weirdly misogynistic at the same time? I felt this way about the Millennium trilogy as well. The women in these books only ever want babies, pretty much, and Patrik calls the female officers in his station "girls" (RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEE) and the book's a lot about how he doesn't understand Erica's feelings because she's so sensitive because she's a woman and he's a man. But at the same time, Lackberg is eager to mark the differences between Patrik, who is "liberated and progressive", and the characters who are women-haters (so hateful that they're like one-dimensional, comical farces). However, even Patrik succumbs to thoughts like how he wasn't sure if he could work if his wife were the boss of him. It's like Lackberg is trying, but can't quite escape the framework of the sexism she was brought up with. What am I supposed to say? Valid attempt? Try harder?

Uh, mind you, none of this will stop me from still actively reading this series. I don't know why. They're like crack. I'm just also keeping my criticisms in mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olycksfågeln.