Raina's Reviews > Legends of Zita the Spacegirl

Legends of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke

Jan 09, 13

bookshelves: feminist, graphicnovel, j, sci-fi
Read from October 25 to November 04, 2012

This may be my favorite kids comic series ever.

Seriously. This sequel is just as good, maybe better, than the first one.

Zita is now famous in the galaxy as a hero, and with that fame comes responsibility and expectations. She must rescue entire planets! She must deal with paparazzi! She must battle robots which have taken over her identity!
This volume introduces several great new characters, including the RingMistress, who will inspire many halloween costumes. I definitely think that the thing this series needed was a flying circus. This is seriously the year of the circus. ;)

Anyway, I won't spoil the ending battle, though every time I talk about this book, I end up giving away the final villain because it/they are so hilarious and terrifying.

This is a world I am IN LOVE with. And one of the few series I plan to own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legends of Zita the Spacegirl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Scott Robins Absolutely better than the first one. And the first one is great, too! Can't wait for the third book.

Raina I love the fairly linear Wizard of Oz style plot of the first one. This one was a little harder to follow with all the elements going on. But yeah, I'm officially a Ben Hatke fangirl.

Hey Scott, at the last YALSA symposium, Robin Brenner suggested to me that you have one of the best comics festivals around going on at your library. I might need to come sometime. :)

Scott Robins Yes! She's talking about the Toronto Comic Arts Festival. It's in May and I organize all the kids programming for the event. We'd love to have you there!

Raina I know! I've read about that thing all over the place. You're doing great work. :) Do you ever come to ALA stuff, or does Canada do its own conferences and things?

message 5: by emily (new)

emily One of my third graders excitedly checked this out today, and asked me if I'd read it. "No," I said. "But I read the first one." "Did you like it?" "Not really, no... but I have been given a lot of grief about that... so I might be wrong. Either way, I really think *you* will like it."

She went home with both.

Scott Robins Raina - I'm coming to Annual this year because I'm on a YALSA committee. :-)

Raina Good work, Emily!

Scott - how about midwinter?

Scott Robins Raina - no Midwinter for me this month but I will be at the next one in 2014.

Raina Bah, Midwinter's in my corner of the country this year. Guess I'll see you in Toronto someday! Btw, do you know when you're throwing the next TCAF? I didn't see any info on the website.

Scott Robins I believe the next one is May 11th and 12th. :-)

Raina This year! Oh man, if I'd known... I'll be in Hawaii, most likely. Oh darn. Next time!