Sarah's Reviews > Shadowfever

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

May 25, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own-print, favorites, read-in-2012, books-i-own-kindle
Read from May 19 to 21, 2012, read count: 1

Please bear in mind that Shadowfever is the fifth (and currently the last although I know Karen Marie Moning plans to come back to this world after writing the spin off trilogy about Dani) book in the Fever series. I have really enjoyed all of these books and would highly recommend them but you need to read the books in order starting with Darkfever, if you're not up to date with the series then you should stop reading this review now in case of spoilers.

Mac's story continues immediately after events in Dreamfever but I don't really want to go into details about the plot because I'd hate to spoil it for anyone. I will say it is packed with action, full of shocking twists and turns and will answer nearly all of the questions that we've had throughout the series. We finally find out what Barrons is and what he needs the book for, Mac finds out who was behind her sister's murder and the truth about her family and we discover how the Sinsar Dubh managed to escape from the Sidhe Seers in the first place. There really is so much going on that although this is a long book (671 pages in my paperback version) I still whizzed through it and didn't want to put it down for a second.

It's been a while since I discovered a series where each of the books are so consistently good and I thought Shadowfever was a fantastic ending to Mac's journey. I loved the way she has changed so much throughout the series, everything she has been through in such a short period of time has impacted dramatically on her and the changes continued in this book. Her grief makes her even harder than she was before, she will do whatever it takes to get her hands on the book so she can use it for her own agenda. It has been fun watching her go from a pink wearing, beach loving party girl to a fierce warrior in black leather and full of attitude. I'm pleased that she hasn't completely lost her inner girlie side though.

I absolutely love the way things ended between Mac and Barrons, I have been a massive Barrons fan since the first book and their relationship has been an intense (if sometimes frustrating) ride! As much as I'm looking forward to the spin off series about Dani I am really pleased that the author is planning on writing more books about Mac & Barrons in the future. I'm not ready to say goodbye to the couple yet so as much as their story has reached a satisfying conclusion for now I just want more!

Karen Marie Moning has definitely been added to my list of auto-buy authors, I can't wait to read Iced but I'm also very pleased to have her Highlander books to work my way through in the meantime. I've already ordered a copy of Beyond the Highland Mist!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfever.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Karen Marie Moning
“He pulls me around and kisses me. "You're Mac," he says. "And I'm Jericho. And nothing else matters. Never will. You exist in a place that is beyond all rules for me. Do you understand that?"
I do.
Jericho Barrons just told me he loves me.”

Karen Marie Moning
“The moment I laid eyes on you, I knew you were trouble."
"Ditto."
"I wanted to drag you between the shelves, fuck you senseless, and send you home."
"If you'd done that, I never would have left."
"You're still here anyway."
"You don't have to sound so sour about it."
"You're upsetting my entire existence."
"Fine, I'll leave."
"Try and I'll chain you up.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Some people bring out the worst in you, others bring out the best, and then there are those remarkably rare, addictive ones who just bring out the most. Of everything.
They make you feel so alive that you'd follow them straight into hell, just to keep getting your fix.”

Karen Marie Moning
“V'lane: Are you busy tomorrow MacKayla ?
Barrons: She's working on old texts with me.
V'lane: Ah. Old texts. A banner day at the bookstore.
Barrons: We're translating Kama Sutra...with interactive aids.”

Karen Marie Moning
“One day you do meet a man who kisses you and you can’t breathe around it and you realize you don’t need air. Oxygen is trivial. Desire makes life happen. Makes it matter. Makes everything worth it. Desire is life. Hunger to see the next sunrise or sunset. To touch the one you love. To try again.”

Karen Marie Moning
“When you know who I am. Let me be your man.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I hate fate. I don’t believe in her. Unfortunately, I think the bitch believes in me.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I didn’t ask. Some things are better left unsaid.
He looked at me and I shivered. I never get enough of him.
Never will.
He lives.
I breathe.
I want. Him. Always.
Fire to my ice. Ice to my fever.
Later we would go to bed, and when he rose over me, dark and vast and eternal, I’d know joy.”

Karen Marie Moning
“They'll try to kill you."
"Good thing I'm hard to kill." Only one thing concerned me. "Will you?"
"Never. I'm the one who will always watch over you. Always be there to fuck you back to your senses when you need it, the one who will never let you die.”
tags: jzb, mac

Karen Marie Moning
“I'm not the hero, Mac. Never have been. Never will be. Let us be perfectly clear: I'm not the antihero, either, so quit waiting to discover my hidden potential. There's nothing to redeem me.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I know part of what turns me on so hard, makes me so violent with lust, is that he's dangerous. I fell for the bad guy. I'm crazy about the one who's trouble. The alpha that doesn't play well with others and doesn't take orders from anyone.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Unpredictable as a hungry lion, he might be feared by everyone else, but he never ripped out my throat, only licked me, and, if his tongue was a little rough sometimes, it was worth it to walk beside the king of the jungle.”

05/19/2012 page 1
0.0% "I'm kind of scared to start this after the ending of Dreamfever but I can't wait any longer - I HAVE to know!!!" 4 comments
05/19/2012 page 7
1.0% "Shit!!!! That can't be right!!!! I refuse to believe it!"
05/19/2012 page 105
16.0% "WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is all lol"
05/20/2012 page 476
71.0% "OMG never in a million years would I have seen that coming!"