Kt's Reviews > Blood Kin

Blood Kin by M.J. Scott

Jun 02, 12

bookshelves: hardcopy, received-for-review
Read in May, 2012 — I own a copy

Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

Holly's life has never been easy as her Fae father abandoned her for her limited magic skills and left her mother so devastated that she can't even function. Yet, bound and determined, Holly found a way to use her skills with charms and glamour to carve out a decent life for herself as a spy. Sure she may be on the wrong side of the law, but she her mother's care is expensive, and espionage pays well. Everything changes won't she falls (literally) into the arms of Guy Ducaine, a Templar Knight firmly on the side of all that is righteous. Never in a million years could she have foreseen the coming events that would not only have her teaming up with a Templar, but also questioning everything she has ever known.

Just like in Shadow Kin, out of the two love interests, it is the woman who is the one with questionable occupation and morals rather than the man. In so many paranormal romance novels, there seems to be a recurring theme of the "bad boy". The sweet naive role played by so many females honestly gets a little tiring at times. In fact, a lot of the time I find myself leaning more towards urban fantasy novels to avoid this issue, even though that means missing out on the love stuff that I enjoy. So having the role reversal in this series is utterly refreshing as it gives me the best of both worlds with a kick butt heroine and the yummy love stuff too. Now don't get me wrong, the guys in these books are anything but weak willed, they are just firmly on the right side of the law. So it's fun to see how they react to their opposite. It definitely makes things interesting, that's for sure.

I knew there would be fallout from the ending events of Shadow Kin. I had feeling a certain death, and the power vacuum it caused was going to be a terrible mess as everyone scrambled for position in the Blood. However, I never could have predicted how much more complex the issues would actually be. There is such a tangled web being woven, and it very much makes for an incredibly engrossing read. Also, I especially like the way M.J. Scott incorporated the previous couple as an integral part of the story and fallout. I was really glad to see them have more than a walk on role considering they were the ones to really start the mess, so it makes sense they would be there for the blow out.

Like the previous installment, Blood Kin is told in dual first person perspective, which I absolutely love. It's really great to be able to be that far into the head of both sides of the relationship as Holly and Guy are two very different people. I just fell like it adds so much more to the reading experience. When you combine that with the other great elements that I loved, like the incredibly intriguing mythology and incredible characters, Blood Kin was a fantastic read. In fact I had started reading it rather late at night, telling myself I would read 100 pages and then go to bed. Those 100 pages quickly turned into an all-nighter as I just couldn't put it down. The only thing that kept me from giving this a perfect rating was that I would have liked to have seen a more developed ending between Holly and Guy. Hopefully they will play an important role in the next installment so we get to see more of them together. So, in the end, I highly recommend Blood Kin as it is a stellar read that will definitely keep you coming back for more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Kin.