Kirstine's Reviews > Black Orchid

Black Orchid by Neil Gaiman

May 13, 12

bookshelves: comics-and-graphic-novels, reviewed
Read on May 09, 2012

This book is beautiful. I mean, you say that sometimes, it's a word that we fling around and use when we can't think of anything else to say. But this book is beautiful.

The art is stunning and makes you feel as though you're in a dream. And the story... it's certainly no ordinary superhero tale. It is, and I feel safe saying this, entirely its own thing. Neil Gaiman shows off his talent for original and profound story telling, and Dave McKean brings it to life with the most insanely beautiful art.

There are also several cameo appearances by other well known and loved superheroes and villains, something I was quite surprised by (but that's probably because I'm so new to this whole graphic novel thing). Still, it was a nice surprise, and it did nothing but add to an already fantastic story.

It is bittersweet and beautiful, but I'm glad I found this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Orchid.

05/09/2012 page 70
44.0% "SURPRISE BATMAN!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party" She was only in it for a brief moment, but this was one of my favorite Poison Ivy appearences ever! "If I could be anyone in the world, little May Queen, I'd be you, and you're complaining?!?" That whole sequence in Arkham was so brilliant!

Kirstine Oh, god, the Arkham sequence was absolutely terrifying D:

And I've never seen/read Poison Ivy anywhere else, but yeah, she was brilliant in this. And the art is just so stunning.