Max's Reviews > Return of the Crimson Guard

Return of the Crimson Guard by Ian C. Esslemont

May 09, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, outstanding-books
Read from September 28 to October 24, 2012

"Very well, court clerk. Here is my judgment upon the case that said self-important appellants are so keen to bring before me to the exclusion of all else I may have to attend to. Said plot of land of property is to be divided exactly in half and fifty percent given to each parts - Even if said property constitutes a slave. Am I understood?"
- Mallick Rel, Return of the Crimson Guard

After reading Night of Knives, this book was another great view into the Malazan Empire. I love the way the characters from the previous book are appearing again, and I absolutely love the way some other characters from the "main" Series make an appearence, too. I can't go into much details, to avoid spoilers, but oh my god I love the wickans!

Additionally, the book also provided a much needed view into the Crimson Guard, and although those parts of the story weren't always the best, I still enjoyed reading them.

My problems with the book boil down to the problems I have had with every single on of the books: I sometimes can't keep up with the amount of characters, especially if they all have pretty similar names. Again, Esslemont has managed to give each important character a special trait that makes them recognizable (For example, hating horses), and that helps a lot. But still, if you only read 50 pages a day and do it while you are tires, it's probably your own fault if you can't keep up.

Rating? Well, I was about to give 4 1/2 stars again, and usually I round them down to four. But screw that. I hereby add all the half stars I could never give all the other books and pile them on this one. I enjoyed the book, even with all the small flaws, and what more can you ask?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return of the Crimson Guard.

09/28/2012 "Sooo, after a brief detour, let's get back to the world of malaz."
10/07/2012 page 197
23.0% "Not really making significant Progress at the moment. It's not that it is a bad book (It isn't, it's actually a pretty good book so far, and I enjoy it a lot), it's just that I don't really have the time right now. Sad, but I'll keep going."
10/10/2012 page 287
33.0% "This book has already won. It just reintroduced one of my favourite Characters of the whole Series. God, I had shivers running down my spine when it clicked and I recognized him. Also, I love the Wickans."