Barbara VA's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

May 09, 2012

bookshelves: art, 2012-read, favorites, france, movies, young-adult, caldecott, children-s-picture
Read in June, 2012

I just loved this bookI I read it after seeing the movie by Martin Scorcese and I also love his efforts. I was lucky enough to see Mieles "From Here To the Moon" movie as a child at a Drive In in the late 60's as the opening scenes of ReRelease of "Around The World In 80 Days" and I know that I felt the wonder of film as Hugo and Isabelle did in 1931. It was magnificent and no movie today can begin to compare!

So, I am a book and a movie geek. Put the 2 together and bliss! Brian Selznick does this. I have read criticism of "lack of character depth", etc. Hogwash! This is a simple story, told thru a child's voice of what is important to him. Hugo is analytical - mechanically. His whole being revolves around clocks and machines. His only joy in life has been his father and everything he does is to bring a piece of him back into his life. Luckily, he finds friends and a new family but it is because of his machines that this happens.

Selznick is as much a genius with his tools as Hugo was with his - a pen for writing and charcoals for the fabulous drawings that told the story so beautifully. So much soul and depth, I could state at them for hours and see more detail after every blink.

The only criticism that I have with the book is in the publishing, I would have preferred a larger book without the seams down the middle to distract.

As Isabelle says "you can find anything in a book"

Perfect!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Diane I loved this book as well! Read the book when it came out though way before I was the movie. I was teaching writing to young adults at the time and shared the book with my students. They loved it too. Thanks for the great review.