Meredith's Reviews > Railsea

Railsea by China Miéville

May 09, 12

Read from July 09 to 16, 2012

What an adventure. With a good bit of humor, as well. It does add a layer to have read Moby Dick, but is not necessary at all. I sped up at the end, rushing things, due to the adrenaline, and am sorry to see it go - a very well-crafted climax and final chapters which lead back to the beginning in a satisfying way...in its conclusion the book becomes whole, making everything along the way important and worthwhile. I appreciated his playing with the reader along the way - the timing of when to switch storylines, the discussion of storylines not taken - a chance to be reminded of the storycraft in addition to the story itself. Metaphors are present but not overbearing. The characters are heartbreaking.

This guy kills me...when will he produce a book I don't fall in love with? In fact, I tried hard not to love this one, and indeed I was lukewarm for the first part. But by the beginning of part 2 or pg 100 or so, I was hooked. Always a new idea but with the same excitement of words and attention to atmosphere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Railsea.