Susan's Reviews > The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Feb 20, 13

Read in March, 2009

"Pillars of the Earth" is an Oprah book, but I didn’t choose it for that reason. I was browsing in the library – something I love but rarely find time for – and came across this huge (almost 1000 pages) book about medieval England. Ahhh … I think heaven will be full of books like this. I had previously enjoyed similar epic-style books by Edward Rutherford (Sarum, London, etc).

I have not been disappointed.

In this book, you’ll follow characters through a 50+ year period. You’ll get to know masons, merchants, priests, and royalty. Follett is a master storyteller, and he throws in a lot of surprises to keep your interested piqued throughout the hundreds of pages of this book.

One big surprise is when the book’s most evil character jumps into real history at the end, killing Thomas Becket in Canterbury Cathedral.

If I have a complaint, it’s that Follett throws in a few too many rape scenes for my taste (okay, was medieval England really like that, or is it just a dramatic thing authors like to use?).

Anyway, I recommend this one wholeheartedly. Read it – you won’t be sorry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of the Earth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hayes Interesting review. I HATED Fall of Giants. Maybe I'll try this one.

message 2: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline I didnt know you read this!

Susan Maybe a couple of years ago?? I just saw that you had it to read and went back and searched for my review on my blog. It's good ... giant epic tale, but it has the individual tales of several people that keeps it interesting throughout.