Beth Bonini's Reviews > Summer of Love

Summer of Love by Katie Fforde

May 09, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

This is a guilty pleasure sort of book -- something for the bath, something for when you are feeling down or a bit ill. It's a very gentle sort of romance novel; romance against a middle England village setting. There are lots of cups of tea in it. Really, this is "romance" in the literary sense; ie, it describes a world that is slightly rosier and pleasant than the one I actually live in. But there are also romances in the more expected sense; one between a 20ish single mother (and a one-night stand who unexpectedly comes back into her life) and the other between a middle-aged mother (with a substantial country house and two grown-up sons). I must be getting old, because I was a bit more interested in the latter!

Katie Fforde is one of those authors who you feel that you know through her books. And she is a very likeable sort, with an appealing sense of humour and a fondness for a cuppa and a piece of cake. It is a soothing world to dip into from time to time. (Oh, to live in an England where summer is a string of long, golden days instead of the typical damp squib.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of Love.

04/13 marked as: read

message 1: by Jenine (new)

Jenine It sounds full of cosy in the best sense. I will make a note for when I need a bit. I'll bet it is very well written as the word wrangling sense

Beth Bonini Well, it is total fluff, really -- and at least half of it describes nice little snacks and "shall we open a bottle of fizz?"

What a quick reply! It's like having a conversation in real time.

message 3: by Jenine (new)

Jenine All right, I promise not to expect too much. I'm at work (shhh).

Beth Bonini Try "Living Dangerously" - one of her earlier books. Same sort of cosy, but I preferred the storyline and the batty main character.