Michelle's Reviews > For Darkness Shows the Stars

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

Sep 21, 13

bookshelves: favorites-2012, dystopia, romance, teen, sci-fi
Read from June 26 to 27, 2012

Who knew that my love of Jane Austen could meld so beautifully into a dystopia. When I first heard this premise, I was skeptical, but figured I would pick it up anyway. I am so glad I did, because I could hardly put it down.
The setting of Jane Austen’s Persuasion is a wealthy young woman who turns down a proposal from the man she loves because he is beneath her family’s social status. Years later he returns and their positions are reversed, he is a wealthy man and her family is basically bankrupt. This translated really well to a dystopian society. In this case humanity experimented too far with their genetic code. They almost wiped themselves out. Only people who had chosen to not mess with their genetic code survive intact. They are now the Luddite nobility. The rule over/care for the Reduced, people who experienced retardation because of the experiments. Now several generations later, some of the Reduced children are normal. Elliot is a Luddite Noble, Kai is a child of a Reduced. As children they form a forbidden friendship. When Kai leaves, Elliot chooses to stay behind, because of her duty to the people on the estate. Now several years later Elliot’s estate is almost bankrupt. The only thing that is going to save them from starvation is that an admiral is renting their old shipyards to build a massive new ship. It turns out that one of his celebrated captains is none other than Kai.

Part of the beauty of Persuasion is that it captures the yearning and love the characters feel toward each other, but there is so much hurt and confusion over their past choices that they have a hard time overcoming it. This book captured that emotion the same way. It left me breathless at times. It was a special treat for me to see how Peterfruend re-imagined some of the scenes to fit into her world. At the same time, you don’t have to be familiar with Persuasion to enjoy this story, because it stands perfectly on its own. The dystopian world is completely believable, though it is a tad under explored. That worked because the focus is on Kai and Elliot’s relationship and how that is affected by their social status. I loved it so much that I don’t think I can come up with any more coherent thoughts about this one. I just want to demand that you go out and get it because it’s AWESOME!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Darkness Shows the Stars.

06/05/2013 marked as: read