Susan Anderson's Reviews > The Evelyn Project

The Evelyn Project by Kfir Luzzatto

May 14, 2012

bookshelves: thriller, action-adventure
Read from May 09 to 14, 2012

Nothing is as it seems in this breathtaking adventure that catapults an Italian professor and his lover, a beautiful French actress, into the heart of northern Italy and Switzerland in search of a century's old formula before it gets into the wrong hands. The story sucked me in, faster than a Steven Spielberg movie fills a theater.

THE EVELYN PROJECT by Kfir Luzzatto opens with the chairman of the European Historical Communication Society enlisting the aid of Franco Lorenzi, professor of Latin and descendant of the Honorable L., a loving father who attempted to save his daughter, Evelyn, from consumption in 1894.

On one level, the book is shimmering entertainment, a magical romp that whirls its readers from one European watering hole to the next, and I for one thoroughly enjoyed the story and the setting and the characters, especially the haunting Mrs. Cecchi and Maria, the cool and calculating Dr. Benini. I loved the scenes in Venice, Asti, Lugano, the quick pace of the action, the smooth, transparent style of Kfir Luzzatto's writing, and the main characters, Eva and Franco.

The action circles back and forth in time, like an ageless spider spinning its web. Eva and Franco overcome one spine-tingling terror after another, only to be overwhelmed by another set of almost insurmountable odds. International conglomerates like the Vatican and Great Britain's Secret Service vie for control. Treacherous villains à la James Bond and Batman are thrown into the mix as we, the readers, nail bite our way through the story, mesmerized--one eye on the traitor in back of us, the other on the lush scenery whizzing past.

But on a deeper level, THE EVELYN PROJECT deals with the age-old longing for the elixir of life, humanity's quest to harness death and thereby alter the course of history. It also deals with the corrupting effects of absolute power on institutions and individuals who abuse the innocent to achieve their own ends.

A thriller with plenty of twists and turns and just the right touch of the paranormal, a mystery that spans the centuries--these are the ingredients that make THE EVELYN PROJECT an irresistible dish and I recommend it to all readers who love memorable books.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evelyn Project.

05/14/2012 page 306