Steven's Reviews > American Pastoral

American Pastoral by Philip Roth

May 24, 12

bookshelves: general-fiction, 2012
Read on May 24, 2012

This is going to count as cheating regarding my book count but I could not, in good conscious, finish this book.

The prose is tedious and difficult, loaded with imaginings and phrases that are meant to make you think but therein lies the problem. It does all the thinking for me. With a better vocabulary.

Not only was the prose an issue, the story itself is rather pretty dull. Or, rather, the way it is presented is dull. It's designed to make the reader think the same exact way the narrator does but it becomes drab and linear to never get to question the author's purpose. It's blunt and awful.

I didn't make it far, no further than page 50, before I laid it down and admitted defeat to this book which I shall never attempt to read again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Pastoral.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luke (new) - rated it 1 star

Luke This one was tough. I didn't like it at all and gave up on it. And you know me; I don't quit reading anything. Except Jane Austen.

Steven I'll give this a shot eventually, somewhere way down the line. Just trying to diversify myself (which is why there are a few of his books on my to read).

message 3: by Luke (new) - rated it 1 star

Luke I told you.

Steven The first page was good enough for me to pick up the book, everything that followed made me regret the decision.