Jo Oehrlein's Reviews > Ark Angel

Ark Angel by Anthony Horowitz

May 09, 12

Read in January, 2009

This is the sixth book in the Alex Rider series. I haven't read any of the others (I usually hate starting in the middle of a series). We happened to pick it up somewhere fairly cheaply and I thought I'd see what the fuss was about.

Alex Rider is essentially "young James Bond." So, if you imagine an old James Bond movie without the love interest/sex, then you have Alex Rider.

In this book he's 14 years old. The book begins with him in the hospital (evidently the fallout from something at the end of book 5). In short order, he's disabled 4 men and then is kidnapped by a 5th while Alex is trying to prevent the kidnapping of the patient in the room next to him. He almost has a finger chopped off, must escape a burning building from a locked room, almost gets killed in a vicious go-cart race, sees the death of a big-time soccer star, has a secret meeting with the CIA, gets locked away in an underwater wreck while scuba-ing, sneaks into a guarded spaceport, is locked into an animal cage, is sent into space, has a life or death fight in a space station, moves a bomb, and barely detaches from the station in time to avoid sure death. All this in approximately 300 pages.

Just to add to the James Bond feel, he's British and he gets gadgets from a guy inside MI6.

I can see these books being really popular with boys (or girls) who dream of playing spy kid.

This book had some references to things from prior books, but not enough to keep you from following the story. If you were really interested, though, it seems it would be best to read them in order.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ark Angel.