Rebecca Alora's Reviews > Katana

3020605
May 09, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, books-i-loved, books-read-in-2012
Read in May, 2012

Well if Buffy ever was a samurai in a past life and could wield a katana? She'd totally be Rileigh Martin. Well maybe not totally, but definitely a lot like her.

I was gripped in the beginning of the book, not by the plot or the summary or anything particularly significant other than Rileigh's relationship with her best friend Quentin. It tugged at my heartstrings in so many ways with it's echoes of my relationship with my best friend who calls me "poodle" and my other one that calls me "Juno." Seeing someone write this relationship on paper and well? I was just in gagaland over it. It was all sorts of excellent. And that was just her relationship with her best friend!

The plot was kind of twisted and with no mentions of a second book anywhere there were a lot of loops that needed to be knotted up. As it stands...I'm pleasantly surprised that I didn't see everything coming until the very end, when it started clicking for me.

I love the whole soulmates concept. I hate, a little bit anyways, that Rileigh really didn't have to work to get Kim. Seeing Kim struggle to love and protect her was hot though. Their love scenes were pretty great...even if there were only like three. :/

I'm going to be honest here, Quentin is my favorite character. He's hilarious and accepting...just everything you think a best friend should be. And having two Quentins in my life? I have all the more appreciation for him.

All in all? It's a solid book. It has great twists and turns, a stereotypical boy trying to protect the girl he loves by keeping things from her, great love scenes, and a semi-stable plot line. I'd definitely suggest checking it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Katana.