Tristy's Reviews > A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

May 09, 12

bookshelves: historical, how-to, scavenged, travel
Recommended for: hikers, those who can ignore bad humor
Read in May, 2012

I've heard about how "hilarious" Bill Bryson and his books are, so I went into this with hope for an entertaining and funny read. While I did really appreciate the author's passion for history and sharing it with geographical context of the Appalachian Trail (AT), there was nothing funny about this book. I've always been curious about the AT and this book is FULL of fascinating information. But funny? Hardly. Unless making fun of other people is hilarious to you, which obviously it is to many people. I can't believe how many arguments there are here on GoodReads about this book! Bill Bryson's humor is more along the lines of the Sunday edition of USA Today - "what the heck is it with people different than me?" kind of humor. No thanks. BUT, as I said, I read the whole thing with interest, because his research and very honest description of his trials and tribulations on the AT is fascinating and worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk in the Woods.