Sugums's Reviews > The Coldest Winter Ever

The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah

May 09, 12

This book had a great plot, great characters. It reminded me of a storyline similar to Deja King's novels. felt King's novels were more fulfilling. This is only because she writes sequels to her books with plots that get right to the point. I do love Sister Souljah. She takes her time with good writing styles to entertain the reader. If Sister Souljah writes a sequel to this novel, she'll definitely have me hooked. Until then, I am a true Deja King reader, but give many props to Sister Souljah whose been in the game with quality writing since the 90s.

All in all, I guess I was sort of disappointed with the ending. It had me on the edge of my seat for her reunion, and hopefully further relationship development, with Midnight. This isn't a bad thing though. Because authors often get wrapped up into the fiction world giving readers what they want and expected, tht fairytale ending. And this ain't no fairytale, just a fictional hood story on paper someone living it could relate to. I didn't expect the last chapter, just took me by surprise. But am glad to see the younger sister Porsche taking on Winter's old lavish life persona. Hopefully Souljah will develop that, and give me as a reader, and probably others, a sequel that is wanted and anticipated.

Oh and for all veteran readers, I am not comparing authors, because there is no comparison to Sister Souljah, someone who has lived the hard NYC life. And Deja King, someone who hasn't. I'm just implying that both authors have strong writing techniques and novels. It's just for now that I favor a newer generation writer near this era, King. Her sequels please my young and anxious spirit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coldest Winter Ever.