Bob's Reviews > Churchill, Hitler and "The Unnecessary War": How Britain Lost Its Empire and the West Lost the World

Churchill, Hitler and "The Unnecessary War" by Patrick J. Buchanan

May 09, 12

A very stimulating book. A revisionist approach to the history of the two great wars. I was greatly stimulated by many of Buchanan's conclusions in this book. It set me off on a quest to start reading other books so that I might verify if his conclusions were valid. Although at this point I have decided that Buchanan is not correct in many instances, I tend to agree with many of the broader points. For example, that there was not a good reason for the US to enter WWI. As to the war guarantee to Poland before WWII, I think Buchanan over states the significance to this and understates the significance of the Munich Accord. Chamberlain's action in Munich was an intervention that should not have occurred and did more to start the war than the guarantee to Poland. A good way to verify the points that Buchanan makes about Poland and the events leading up to WWII is to read, "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William Shirer.

Never the less, I think that fresh approaches to history are vital to unlocking the lessons to be learned and so I recommend this book. Read this if you want to be stimulated to greater investigations about the policies of the 20th century as practiced by the US and GB.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Churchill, Hitler and "The Unnecessary War".