Amy's Reviews > When in Doubt, Add Butter

When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison

May 09, 12

Read from May 07 to 08, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

When a book shows up at my doorstep (a Goodreads ARC) with colorful cupcakes on the cover, it has a lot to live up to. When that cover also uses the word “Butter” in the title, whoa, that’s raising the bar even higher. As a chick-lit novel, this book does live up to both those cover points as a tasty confection to inhale curled up in bed.

The book focuses on Gemma Craig, personal chef, with all her personal foibles. She is a somewhat stereotypical late 30s single woman, bemoaning her lack of relationship but blaming it on a host of events in her past—including giving a baby up for adoption when she was a teen. I wasn’t too keen on the pregnancy bit because it seemed to add just one more excuse for her to lean on when times got tough. That said, I loved reading about her eccentric clients. It reminded me a bit of the Nanny Diaries—seeing into the lives of others from a position of almost-servitude. I would have liked to hear more about the food—and see some of those stunning cupcakes on the cover—but the personalities of the clients almost make up for a lack of food descriptions in the book.

All said, if you’re looking for a book that will shock you, this isn’t it. If you’re looking for a book that will make you think, keep looking. If you’re looking for a book to entertain you on a plane, on a beach, or in the bathtub, this is a gem!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When in Doubt, Add Butter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bella Cermola This book is a light summer read and I did laugh out loud. I wish I had a friend like Gomma Craig.